Henry Peters and Mary Standing. The G-g-grandparents of John Kinread Nugent.

Henry Peters and Mary Standing. The G-g-grandparents of John Kinread Nugent.

Henry Peters (b. 1780 Lyminge England. d. 1867 Richibucto NB Can.)  Mary Standing (b. 1781 Folkestone England. m. 1803 in Folkestone)

coat of arms

Link to Jesmer family history page

Link to John Kinread Nugent and Alice Nugent page

Link to Henry and Mary Scott Peters (Henry’s parents)

picture of genealogy henry peters and mary standing

The lineage:

Henry Peters and Mary Scott

Henry Peters and Mary Standing

John Kinread and Ann Peters

John Nugent and Hannah Pickard Kinread

Robert Moore Nugent and Racheal Wolfe

John Kinread Nugent and Alice Larracey

John Kenneth Nugent and Helen Mass

Link to the genealogical information

Lyminge is a village in southeast Kent, England. It lies about five miles (8 km) from Folkestone and the Channel Tunnel, on the road passing through the Elham Valley. The Nailbourne stream begins in the village and flows north through the Valley, to become one of the tributary streams of the Great Stour. The hamlet of Ottinge lies to the NE on the road to Elham. Lyminge is surrounded by farmland and ancient forests. There is a wide variety of flora and fauna in the surrounding area, including badgers, various species of deer along with wild boar. These are thought to have escaped from farmed populations.



Lyminge has been a focus of archaeological work for over a half a century. In December 1953 two inhumation burials were discovered there by workmen working for farming contractors, and subsequent excavations led by Alan Warhurst resulted in the discovery of a 6th-century Jutish cemetery (grid reference TR 1638 4169) containing 44 graves. The grave assemblages were remarkable, although not unusual for this period, and contained a lot of high status jewellery, weapons such as spear-heads, swords and shield bosses and some rare glass claw beakers of exceptional quality and condition.

There was a major archaeological find in October 2012 [1] when the foundations of an Anglo-Saxon feasting hall were excavated on the village green by a team from the University of Reading,[2] led by Gabor Thomas, working with local archaeologists and villagers and funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council. Guided by a ground-penetrating radar survey the hall was identified as measuring 21 metres by 8.5 metres and would have been large enough to hold at least 60 people. A decorated and gilded horse harness, broken in antiquity, was found in the foundations together with pieces of jewellery, bone combs and a well preserved manicure set – three little bronze rods, probably for cleaning fingernails or ears, strung on to a piece of wire. The site also yielded quantities of glass, some evidently scavenged from nearby Roman sites and melted down to make glass bead jewellery. Further excavations led by the University of Reading are planned.

Pagan meeting hall excavated at Lyminge

St Mary and St Ethelburga

One of the oldest standing structures in the village is the Parish Church of St Mary and St Ethelburga. This beautiful Church has stood since 633AD and is still very active today, looking after the needs of the community. In 2010 the lead had to be replaced after thieves stole it to sell. It has a rich and varied history which can be read on their website


The Stagecoach bus route 17 serves the village and connects it to Folkestone and Canterbury. There is typically one bus an hour in each direction on weekdays and Saturdays, and a bus every two hours in each direction on Sundays. In addition, Route 18 links the village to Canterbury – via Bossingham, also Hythe Kent. Bus runs Monday to Saturday only, at irregular intervals. (Stagecoach in East Kent timetable)

Lyminge’s early history

Lyminge, Kent, has long been known as a site of an Anglo-Saxon royal monastery. Our archaeological research now demonstrates that Lyminge is one of the best preserved monastic sites in Kent, a region where Christianity first gained a foothold in Anglo-Saxon England.

Historical evidence


Historical sources indicate that a ‘double’ monastery – a mixed community of monks and nuns placed under the rule of a royal abbess – was founded at Lyminge during the 7th century. The monastic community at Lyminge would have formed part of a network of religious houses established across the kingdom of Kent. These new monasteries were founded following the arrival of St Augustine’s mission to convert the pagan Anglo-Saxons in AD 597.

In the mid 19th century Canon Jenkins, vicar of Lyminge, excavated around the parish church. In doing so he uncovered the core buildings of the Anglo-Saxon monastic complex, including a 7th-century minster-church.

In the 1950s, a pagan cemetery was excavated just outside the village. This was the first archaeological evidence that Lyminge was an important place well before the monastery was founded. Some of the beautiful grave goods that were excavated are on display in Maidstone Museum.

Our ongoing work is unearthing a wealth of new information for understanding Lyminge’s origins and development as an Anglo-Saxon monastic settlement. We now know that the nucleus of stone buildings excavated by Canon Jenkins formed only a small part of a much larger settlement. The area around these stone buildings was busy with domestic occupation, crafts and economic activity representing daily life within the monastic community. Our excavations also show that Lyminge was an important royal site before the foundation of the monastery and that its origins as an Anglo-Saxon ‘central place’ date back into the 5th century AD. 180px-Tayne_Field_Lyminge 240px-Kent_UK_location_map.svg arch at the church church Lyminge Lyminge.10 lyminge-c1955_l334008_large old pic of lyminge the old church




Interact with us using Facebook

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.